Monday, April 16, 2012

TRAVEL PASSENGER GIFTS

When you tell someone you're taking two small children on a 14hr plan trip, you can guarantee there will be an "oh, you're brave", "have you got drugs?" or something similar. We all know one of the few things worse than a crying or whingy child, would be a crying and whingy child in the confines of a plane cabin!

Hence the idea for this little peace offering to fellow passengers on our flight, to break the ice and say "sorry" from the start of the trip.
Photobucket Photobucket
I wrote a little note from Levi & Ellie to fellow passengers, with some mini Easter Eggs (we travelled on the Easter weekend) and some earplugs. I packaged them in a drawstring muslin bag with an iron-on transfer on the front. I used my plane design to tie it all together (and it matched Levi's marshmallow building tin too). I made about 30 or so - just for those in the surrounding seats and a couple for the stewards serving on our section of the plane.
Photobucket Photobucket
When preparing these, my sister told me how crazy I was making them when I had all these other logistical things on my list to do - "no wonder you're stressed out" she said. I explained to her that the stress now would be worth it when I got on the plane and my child was crying, and because I'd given them a pack, I wouldn't feel the need to apologise all the time. (Say sorry once first up with our little peace offering, and then travel in confidence, I say!) And you know what? It really worked!

The passengers around us were so impressed I got offers for help and even a nearby Grandma who offered cuddles any time I needed it. The stewards we gave it to offered us some lovely extras (win!) and it just got things off on the right foot, so glad I did it!

With such good success, I wonder now, would there be another situation you could use this for besides children? What would you put in your pack?
Photobucket
Images // Copyright Polkadot Prints

23 comments:

  1. Unreal idea Jordan - ok time to add them to your shop (or mine!) Such a cool idea that I think I need something like that for my "short" flight to Fiji in July! Hope all is great in Canada and I look forward to hearing more from you soon. Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd be great for any length of flight I think! The people around us were definitely won over from the get-go! Definitely an option for online shop too!

      Delete
  2. Amazing. I love this!! Enjoy Canada! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi beautiful idea!! when u gonna put them for sale?i am having airplane party for my boy soon,thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My store is closed for a few more weeks yet as we settle in, but I've had such a surprising response about these, that I am considering making packs for the shop when I do! xo

      Delete
  4. hmmm we only have a 3 hr flight to NZ coming up but... sounds like a plan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! Having my own new little one and braving the friendly skies this summer, this idea might come in handy. You can always win people over with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the cutest things ever! Welcome to Canada! Whereabouts are you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we were smaller, my mom made 1 Hour Bags for car trips from Seattle to our Gramma's house in Southern California. They were brown paper lunch bags (in bulk from Costco) filled with a dollar store coloring books, crayons or colored pencils, HiC juice boxes, chocolates, goldfish, toys, etc. We'd get one each hour (or more if Mom deemed it necessary for behavior reasons) to keep us entertained and occupied on the 21+ hour long roadtrip. We loved em!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did something similar on our move from the US to Italy. I agree, even though there are tons of other crazy logistics to think about when you're prepping for an international move, I was glad our "survival kits" for our fellow passengers were on my "must-do list." yours are darling! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Utter GENIUS! Will definitely implement this idea when our family flies to Hawaii with our two sons - 2 yrs and 7 mons. old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you SO MUCH for this idea! We're flying across the country in a few weeks, and I'm going to try and make some of these. Hopefully it will help since we'll be doing 7 hours of flying with our 2 year old and 9 month old!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea... will also help stop all the mean looks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is brilliant!!! Did security give you any trouble? I am flying with 5 boys to Disneyworld (and my husband) in Sept. including a set of quadruplets, you bet I will have these on hand. Happy to have found you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Michelle, no I didn't have a problem with security. Everything was store bought too which I did think was important and would make sure no one got food poisoning!! : ) Hope you have a great time Disneyworld!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to do this too! We live in Japan and will be taking the long 12-13 hour flight back to the States to visit family with a 1 year and 3 year old. I think I'll have the tag in both English and Japanese.
    We do all that we can to be prepared with treats and games and stuff to keep kids happy, but sometimes you just need to distribute ear plugs! And chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the idea but what does the note say?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could make it say whatever, but I wrote this for my kids:

    Hello!
    We’re Levi & Ellie and
    we’re moving to Canada.
    This is our irst big trip on a plane, and
    we’ve been looking forward to it for a long time.

    We’re sorry if we are a little noisy at times,
    we will try and keep busy and sleep!

    We hope you have a good flight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, thanks so much for this GREAT idea! I have an almost-2 year old who is very opinionated and persistent. I am terrified to be with him on a plane past his bedtime because I know what will happen and the last time we flew everyone on the plane was grumpy with us. So I am excited to make something like this for our fellow passengers, but I was wondering where you found individually packaged single pair earplugs?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Lindsey, I know, it's rough on kids.
    I bought the earplugs at the chemist. They came in individual packets which was really handy. All the best with future travel with your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome, and plan to do something similar for our next trip (we flew with our two kids with no problem last year)... I was in panic thinking of flying and it went without a hitch, but that panic is setting in again

    ReplyDelete

So great to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'll always answer your questions so please check back for a reply! xo

P.S I had to put the verification back on as spam was well...spamming me! : )